With HTC's Pen API and some creative wizardry, the SF Mobile App Hackathon turned out some well thought out apps with some amazing teamwork. The attendees, with an official count in at 111+, in the San Francisco conference room collaborated extremely well and collectively pumped out a Pen API app, a WP7 app, and an Android app.
Judging this time around was actually extremely easy with first place being taken by Chiu-ki who delivered a polished presentation and was able to convey the purpose of the app in a simple and expedient manner. Second place went to PenTube and third place went to "Coupons on Mobile" who showed how fast development could be with open source technologies, especially with a team of one.
I also have to give a special mention to Yuri Green who coded an entire API from scratch so that he could access data from a legacy database and THEN he went on to code his actual app over the course of the afternoon. Oh, and he finished early too, so I asked him to code up a multi-player horse racing game, which he did with his last hour. In special recognition of his crazy coding skillz, we've decided to award him an Elevate 4G Mobile Hotspot device!
If you were interested in the presentations, here are links:
Here is a quick list of the sponsor prize winners:
- Microsoft - Ajith Chandran & Chiu-Ki Chan both won an Xbox with Kinect
- HTC - Chiu-ki Chan (1st Place) & Larry Tu / C Lee (2nd Place). Both teams won AT&T Jetstream Tablets.
- Yellow Pages - DashNav and CouponPal teams won the YP Developer Program prize (6 $50 gift cards from Amazon)
- ARM - Terrain Editor won the S2 that was sponsored by ARM
- Twillio - Team Gamble created an app called "Twilio Roulette" that connects users with each other through voice and then suggests a meeting location to them.
Here is a list of all apps in no particular order:
- Calligraphy- Learn to write Chinese by tracing over a character
- Faotos - Displays facebook photos
- Memblox - memory game
- Snapfish Reminisce - A "photo lava lamp" that lets a user reminisce over their photos on Snapfish.com. Photos display a caption and geo-location. Users can also order a print by tapping an image and placing it in their Snapfish.com shopping cart as a 4x6 print.
- Secretariat - A multiplayer virtual horse race built with PubNub's fast messaging API
- Terrain Editor - Use pen API to paint terrain for elevation and button to select colors
- PenTube - synchronized drawing across multiple mobile devices
- Www.bigsixbones.com- Dominoe Game & trying to + Google Video
- Coupon Finder - Finds coupons based on your current location
- Hotspots - its basically yelp...but better
- Space War - The space war is a verticle scroller 2D shooting game, which is created with UNITY 3D.
- Radarify - Radarify is an app that aggregates information from multiple sources such as your calendars, Twitter, Facebook, FourSquare, RSS, news sources etc. It then processes this information, categorizes it and prioritizes it ultimately displaying it using a radar user interface. At a glance, this UI makes it possible for a person to know what's important here and now and what will soon become important.
- Terrain Editor - Use Pen to edit Terrain elevation and color to put item into terrain
- Coupons on Mobile - find coupons based on location and other keywords and store them for easy lookup
- Help On The Way (H.O.W) - HOW is a web 3.0 solution that enables people to get help during an emergency !
- Tic-Tac-Toe - Play a Tic-Tac-Toe Game on HTC tablet using Pen :)
- CouponPal - It is a location-based deals finder application.
- DashNav- Provides an interface over Google Navigation that is similar to GPS units like Garmin and Magellan. Finds listings of businesses in categories such as restaurants, cafes, gas stations, hospitals, shops, etc. Selecting a business launches Google Navigation and sends you to the right address.
- Daytracker - Creates a graphic diary to structure tasks that promote independence for people who think differently. Ability to link photos taken during activities with the calendar to provide a diary that can be shared with family, caregivers and health care team."
- Recommendme - Helps you better explore the neighborhoods you frequent.
- CancerCure - Detects the cancer cells and kills them
- Coupon Friend - Finds coupons