This last weekend, Paypal helped us host yet another awesome AT&T Mobile App Hackathon down in San Jose, California! All told we had 167 developers show up with a broad range of skills and no lack of creativity. At the end of the day, they pumped out 27 mobile apps with a good mixture of native and HTML5 mobile web apps.
From now on, I think I'll have to keep saying that extra bonus points will be given for projects that take the time to create a native app because I've never see such an intense focus to deliver as many platforms as possible.
All told there were 27 mobile apps that were produced:
- ParkFast SF - This application navigates you to open parking spots in San Francisco based on real-time information and only requires one click.
- Parkalator - Parkalator shows you where you should park in San Francisco, in real time.
- Air Guitar Move - iPhone appcessory for playing air guitar. Previously created a game and free play mode. Today I created a guided play to easily play blues without musical knowledge.
- Lifetime - Plots life events on a map.
- theblocks - HTML5 video player
- XTremeQuiz - it is a two player quiz. User can select various topic and she can create their own quiz. It uses MongoDB for cloud storage and pearson for Quiz creation
- Cut The Debt - It'a a native Android app designed to help US government pay off the national debt. User can donate $1 through paypal to help everyone cut the debt.
- My Clipper Rewards - Our application reduces traffic congestion, fuel emissions, and parking issues by a reward incentive to use public transportation in the bay area.
- Radioactive - Radioactive is a personalized science quizzer and study app. It tracks student's progress so they can pinpoint their weaknesses.
- Unified Mobile Storage - Free and paid cloud storage aggregration tool
- Used Cars For Sale By Owner - The application showcases best used cars
deals on eBay, all for sale by owner.
- Travel Wishlist - An application that leverages and personalizes the travel experience by connecting you with local tour guides to help you discover new cultures, places, adventures and excursions.
- FindMe - Find Me is an app that allows rescue workers, caretakers and families to find lost people.
- Grocery Runner - Grocery Runner is a social collaboration app that lets you request or offer a ride to the local grocery store.
- Twitter Battle - A simple app to virtually use your twitter followers as your army
- PersuadeME - This application helps people present themselves well in interviews, end-of-the-year evaluations, team meetings, applications, etc.
- Shipmate - This Application get from user the detailed of the package they want to ship and compares with different API to get a fare price and presents the user. User can then decide to choose their choice of shipment and submit
- Meetingville - Meetingville, is a Social-Enterprise Meeting Rating Platform, that helps employees to spend their time at meetings effectively through meeting and organizer ratings
- FavOffers - FavOffers aggregates your deals from Groupon, Google Offers, and LivingSocial. You can save them to your list to access later, and purchase.
- Longman Dictionary - Can search dictionary and browse the dictionary in categories.
- MR E - This mobile app connects the locations, time and objects in the world to your experiences with them. It lets you remember and share your experiences. Shorter than a tweet, an "emote" records experience.
- MapPal - It is a location aware mobile applicatio
n that shows on a map where your friends and conta cts are.
- SF Surf Report - Gets current Surf Report for all local San Francisco / San Mateo County surf spots. Works on Android and iPhone and iPad.
- The "Private Beta" App for Android - It uses box to share private beta with users without giving out public link.
- Dictionary - Shows you the descriptions for a given word and suggests words in case you mistype.
- DoctorHub - This application is designed for travelers to easily release their medical information when they seek for medical help while they travel out of town.
- TabThat - TabThat offers a simple way of splitting bills
The winners of the hackathon were Travel Wishlist, Shipmate, My Clipper Rewards and Twitter Battle. Special platform prize from Sencha went to Jiong Shen for best use of Sencha.
Pictures of the winners to follow shortly!